Friday, April 9, 2010

HOW NICE TO BE IN THE SOUTH AGAIN

Sorry I have not posted in a while. I hope everyone had a great Easter!!! We had beautiful weather in Toronto for Easter. It was actually 82F. Unheard of for the beginning of April. Today, however, we have snow flurries and 32F. Mother nature is such a tease.

I went to SC for the kid's spring break. Oh, how I miss SC and the warm weather. Toronto is a great city, don't get me wrong, but nothing beats the nice warm feeling you get when you go home. And how about that southern food. You have to have fried chicken and warm southern biscuits when you visit the south. Another of my favorites is macaroni and cheese, corn bread and barbecue. In Canada, when you say barbecue, everyone thinks you are having a cook out. When southerners say barbecue, they are talking about pork barbecue ribs and barbecue sandwiches. I am making myself hungry just thinking about it.

Other things that remind me of SC: oyster roasts, college football (Go Tigers!), tailgating, walking barefoot on the beach, sweet iced tea and laying on a hammock on a warm southern afternoon reading a good book.

Oh well, I will be back in the south in August. In the meantime, I think I'll make some iced tea to remind me of the warm weather yet to come.

Here is my favorite recipe for sweet iced tea:

6 family size tea bags
4 cups water
3 cups sugar

Add sugar to water and bring to a boil over medium heat in a pot. When water boils toss tea bags in. Cover pot and let tea steep at low heat for at least two hours. Pour tea into your pitcher. Add ice.

Beware: This is very sweet!

What reminds you of home? Leave a comment.


No comments:

Post a Comment